Recently, Turkey has worked to expand government departments concerned with issuing residence permits for foreigners of all kinds, and to provide employees who speak international languages such as Arabic and English, to facilitate communication with foreign applicants.
All residence permits are issued by the Wishes Department (General Directorate of Immigration Management) affiliated to the Ministry of Interior, after completing the required conditions for each type.
What is the residence?
It is an official document issued by the Immigration Department and given to anyone who enters Turkish territory legally, as the types and purpose of residency differ.
Types of residency in Turkey:
The types of residency in Turkey differ according to the applicant’s desire, if he wants to reside for the purpose of tourism, work, stability, study, investment, etc., including:
• Work permit
• Establish a study
Real estate residence
• Permanent residence
Real estate residence:
Real estate residence in Turkey is a type of short-term residence permit granted to someone who owns real estate or immovable property in Turkey, and the real estate or property must be a residential house and used by the applicant for housing.
This residency is granted to the husband and children under the age of 18 in the event that the partner “husband or wife” has Turkish citizenship or work residency in Turkey. In general, if the husband is Turkish, he can apply for Turkish nationality after three years at most. under 18
What is the duration of family residence in Turkey?
• The duration of the family residence permit does not exceed three years at a time.
• The period of family residence cannot exceed the period of residence of the person who caused it, if he is one of the holders of a residence permit.
Student residence in Turkey:
It is also a short-term residence permit. It is also called a study residence permit. It is granted to foreign university students at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels. It can also be renewed throughout the years of university study in Turkey.
What is the duration of the student's stay in Turkey?
In the event that the period of time for the educational period that the student will spend in Turkey is less than a year, the period of residence granted may not exceed the period prescribed for the educational activity, and in the event that it exceeds that, it is given for a period of one year subject to renewal, provided that the student is responsible for his expenses by the Turkish Scholarship Foundation or By real or legal persons inside or outside Turkey.
Humanitarian residence in Turkey
It is a protection document granted to people who are unable to stay in their country for specific reasons, according to the international agreement signed in Geneva in 1951, and Turkey was one of them.
How long is the human stay in Turkey?
Humanitarian residency is granted by the state leadership and with the approval of the Ministry of Interior for one year, subject to extension.
This type of residency falls under the provisions of Articles 48 and 49 of the Aliens and International Protection Law, in addition to Articles 45 and 46 of the executive regulations related to the Aliens and International Protection Law.
It is a suitable option if you want to stay in Turkey for more than 90 days. The application process is relatively simple.
But there are some conditions:
You must have a valid passport and travel insurance.
You have to prove that you have sufficient financial resources to support yourself during your stay in Turkey.
You need proof that you have a place to stay in Turkey, such as a hotel reservation or a rental agreement.
How long is the tourist stay in Turkey?
Duration ranges from one to two years.
When the foreigner obtains a work permit from the Turkish Ministry of Labor in the country, he is granted a work permit under the work permit.
This residency is renewed every two years, and it is one of the types of residency that qualifies its owner to apply for Turkish citizenship, after five consecutive years and continuing to work for the same entity.
In addition to the advantage of obtaining social and health insurance by the company for free treatment in state hospitals
Permanent residence in Turkey is granted to foreign nationals who meet certain criteria, including having a temporary residence permit for at least five years and not being away from Turkey for more than six months in any one year. Permanent residents have the right to work, travel and live freely in Turkey. They are also eligible for health insurance and Social Security benefits.
In this article, we have collected all the information for you about real estate residence in Turkey.
When a foreigner owns a property in Turkey, he is granted a legal residence permit according to his ownership of that property. The duration of the real estate residence permit is two years, renewable if he continues to own the property.
Turkish citizenship is not granted by owning a property in Turkey, unless the total value of the owned real estate amounts to 400,000 US dollars transferred from outside the country.
Turkey has a residence permit program that allows foreigners to buy real estate and obtain real estate residence in Turkey. The program has strict requirements, but it is possible to obtain Turkish citizenship after five years of residence.
Real estate residence law in Turkey:
The real estate residence law in Turkey is included in Articles No. 31 to No. 33 of the Foreigners and International Protection Law No. 6458, in addition to Articles 28 and 29 of the executive regulations related to the application of the Aliens and International Protection Law. Under the item of short-term residence, which is granted to many categories, including those wishing to buy real estate in Turkey.
Conditions for real estate residence in Turkey:
• Real estate title deed (Tabu).
• Seismic insurance for the property.
• A passport valid for at least six months.
• A family statement for the children, translated into Turkish and certified by the Turkish embassy in the mother country.
• Health insurance in Turkey for each family member.
How long is the real estate residence permit in Turkey?
This residency cannot be limited to a specific period, especially since the subject is assessed by the Immigration Department, but it is usually granted for a period of one year in the first issuance, and after that it is for a period of two years at most..
Renewal of real estate residence in Turkey:
With regard to the issue of renewing real estate residence in Turkey, it is very easy, compared to other types of residence in Turkey, as it is sufficient for the property to be registered in the Land Registry Directorate, in the name of the real estate owner, in order for the residence to be renewed accordingly.
How to obtain real estate residence in Turkey:
• Buying a property in one of the Turkish states, and obtaining a title deed.
• Book an appointment online for real estate residency.
• Preparing the necessary papers to obtain real estate residence in Turkey
• Attending the interview at the Immigration Directorate, in person or under an official power of attorney for the agent.
• Hand over the required papers and documents to the responsible employee.
• Pay the fees imposed for real estate residence in Turkey.
• Wait until the granting of real estate residency is approved by the Immigration Department in the state to which it was submitted in Turkey.
• Sending the real estate residency card through one of the postal methods, to the investor's home address, which was registered upon handing over the papers.
Documents required for real estate residence in Turkey:
To apply for real estate residency, the following documents must be submitted:
• Application paper for real estate residence.
• A valid passport for a period of not less than 6 months.
• A registered visa with an entry stamp to Turkey.
• The existence of what is known as DASK earthquake insurance for the property.
• Medical insurance paper. It can be obtained from Turkish insurance companies.
• The family book translated into Turkish, and certified by the Notary Public in Turkey.
• The title deed document registered in the name of the owner of the property.
• 4 personal photos.
• Having a fixed monthly income of at least $500 per month.
• Bank account.
When is the real estate residence permit cancelled:
The real estate residence permit in Turkey can be canceled in the following cases:
• That the owner of the property sell his property and not buy another property
• It is discovered that there are forged documents in the residency application
• Residency may be canceled for security reasons if the person represents a threat to public security in Turkey
• That the current real estate residence permit expires and the real estate owner does not renew it
How can Turkish citizenship be obtained through residency?
Obtaining a family residence permit for 3 consecutive years
Obtaining a work permit in Turkey for a period of 5 continuous years
Obtaining long-term residency in Turkey for 8 consecutive years.
-Turkish citizenship is also granted to Syrians who have obtained temporary protection residence in Turkey exceptionally, through their nomination from the Immigration Department in Turkey, and not by application.
Points to be noted about types of residency in Turkey:
• It is not possible to obtain Turkish citizenship through real estate residence, unless the price of the real estate owned by the foreign resident reaches at least 400 thousand US dollars.
• Tourist residency is granted individually, but the file can be submitted collectively for each family, but for example if the husband has a tourist residency, this is not a condition for the wife to obtain it.
• Family and real estate residence permits in Turkey can be obtained alongside children under the age of 18, both children with disabilities and those with special needs
• The application for residency renewal in Turkey must be submitted at most two months before the expiry of the current residency period.
• The student is not entitled to invite the parents to reside in Turkey, or to grant them any advantages, but they can, if they wish to reside in Turkey, travel to Turkey and request a tourist residency.
• Upon selling the property, the resident and his family lose the right of real estate residence
• Upon divorce, the foreign husband/wife loses the right of family residence
• When leaving work and not obtaining a new work contract, the resident loses the right to establish work
• Upon termination of studies or leaving the university, the foreign student loses his academic residence.
• Iqama must be exchanged after losing the reason leading to obtaining it, and before the expiry of the legal period of Iqama